There’s a cold chill in the air but a warm and joyous spirit flourishes.
Tis the season for friends and family to congregate for great company, delicious food and wholesome fun. The focus is on family rooms, which beckon all to gather around (especially if there’s a warm and cozy fireplace nearby). Consider remodelling your main living area with a stunning entertainment unit, fireplace surround and low cabinetry that can double as a buffet station for holiday food set-up.
Here are some tips to set the scene for comfort and fun:
- Prepare a guest list. Think mindfully about who you will invite, and number of guests. Will it be a small intimate group of very close family or a large crowd because your motto is “the more, the merrier”? Make sure they RSVP.
- Select a date and time for your festive affair. Obviously!
- Dream up a fun theme and add décor pieces to bring your vision to life, like crystal sculptures that seem to be carved in ice. Keep it fresh and festive.
- Mood lighting sets the stage. It shouldn’t be too bright or too dark. Use a dimmer, if you have, and layer different types of lighting. Use lamps of different heights. Lighting some candles will make the space feel cozier.
- Seating should be conducive to group conversations and should be arranged to face each other, or in a half-moon/circular configuration. Use sofas, chairs, stacking stools, ottomans, benches and even large pillows for floor seating. You can also set-up multiple smaller areas so your guests can have private convos.
- Food is at the heart of any gathering. Have a variety of hors d’oeuvres, finger foods and snacks for various palates. Or perhaps a full sit-down meal including dessert. Just be sure to take any allergies and food preferences into account.
- Beverages should be both alcoholic and non-alcoholic. Set-up a mini bar or drink station where the designated Mixologist can whip up fabulous drinks. Don’t forget the Egg Nog. It’s a tried-and-true classic for the holiday season.
- Music soothes the soul. Create a playlist of holiday classics or consider some live instrumental music? For extra merriment, have your guests drop the mic to sing jolly karaoke songs.
- Safety first. Keep hot drinks, candles, electrical wiring, etc away from smaller children. Ensure the batteries in your smoke alarm are fresh and ALWAYS keep a fist-aid kid handy.
Whatever you choose to do, have fun and be safe during this holiday season!
Here’s a 10th tip for the “To Do” list. Drop by our showroom for a tour to view our beautiful displays. There’s a variety of styles, finishes and details to incorporate into your own design. The SKÖNA team is here to happily assist you.
A fireplace surround has an urban flair with a concrete-look decorative panel, while the reeded wood details add warmth and texture. The bar unit with built-in beverage fridge is on point for entertaining.
The warmth of wood creates a welcoming feeling in this living room. A wood veneer wall panel (with some hidden storage behind) is stained and then painted an inky black, offset by a slice of fluted wood beneath. The marble-look base unit adds another layer of visual texture.
This is a perfectly cozy family room to gather and huddle around the fireplace. A tall open storage tower houses logs to ensure that the fire keeps burning bright during the cold months ahead.
Multi-level micro-shaker cabinetry looks stately in this elegant dining room. The low base storage unit can double as a buffet for gatherings, while tall wine racks with interior LEDs showcase your fine beverage selections.